Sunday, November 21, 2010

Effective Language Study

Through the years I've met a lot of wonderful people that were zealous to learn a second language. Some of them just dreamed about doing it, others started doing it. But few actually did it to the point that they could say they learned one. Fewer still made it to a level that they could give someone directions while on vacation in a foreign country. Obviously, not everyone needs to reach that kind of fluency (though it would be nice). But those who study a language should at least reach their goal before saying "enough." I say this with empathy because I personally understand the blood, sweat and tears that go into learning languages. I am not just a language instructor, but I've also been and will continue to be, a language student for life.

In 1993 during the war, I was plunged into a little village in Yugoslavia where I lived for four years. Speaking, reading and writing Serbian proficiently (with its two alphabets in Cyrillic and Latin) along with a little Hungarian at the same time, were two tasks I needed to accomplish quickly. I then had to repeat the process and learn Italian in 2001 after moving to the province of Treviso, in northeastern Italy where I still live at the time of writing. In 2009, once again I was faced with the task of learning a language for my seminary course. This time, it was Koine Greek. That was no cake walk!

Now I'm in the process of learning ancient Hebrew. Yes, I know. I'm a glutton for punishment. But seriously, learning a second language, and even a third or fourth, is not only possible, but if you do it right, it can be enjoyable and extremely rewarding in so many ways. What's more, it gets easier the more you do it. The problem is very few people have that kind of experience because either they are doing enough things wrong that frustration crushes them, or they just lack certain habits that they could easily develop with the right instruction.

It's true, learning a language means hard work. I'd be lying to you if I said it weren't. And I can't offer you a miracle pill to make it happen. But I can offer you The Language Station to help you through your various stages of language study. Best of all, it's F-R-E-E! As an ESL teacher, I conduct English lessons to corporate and private students. My philosophy, methods and habits are definitely NOT text book. In fact, they may be called unorthodox. But they have worked for me, and my students (when they are applied), every time. They will work for you, too.

If you are a serious language student, an enthusiast, or just preparing to order pasta on your next vacation in Venice, this blog is here to help you get the most from your study time. How you study a language and maintain it, makes all the difference between time well spent and time much wasted.

Be sure to tune in to The Language Station to get free advice, unconventional tips, tricks and study techniques, book recommendations, funny blooper stories and a lot more. I'm still developing the site, so you'll want to check back frequently or just subscribe to not miss any valuable posts.

Unconventional tip number one: when just beginning a foreign language, a-v-o-i-d the grammar. I'll tell you why in my next post.

Happy language learning!

Mark

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Pastor Mark! I think this might be able to help me even though I'm learning Korean! God bless and thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, I definitely think you'll get some helpful insights here. I'd also welcome you to comment on what your greatest difficulty(ies) is/are. thanks for stopping by, bless you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark,
    Thanks for this blog, I think it will help us in Wave Project too. If you don't mind, I'd like to recommend the blog to all of our English course students.
    For all the people who do not know how Mark was dealing with Serbian, I feel free to say: It's amazing!!!

    Zlata
    God bless you and may He use you in this way too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zlata,

    Great to hear from you and thanks for posting.

    Feel free to recommend this blog to anyone you want, that would be great. But some things I teach here are bound to disagree with mainstream English teaching =) I hope The Language Station helps you and many others, although your English is already VERY good Zlata!

    Bless you,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete